ISIB project @Brussels, Belgium (2005). To ensure the permanent availability of their Information Technology (IT) infrastructure, companies have quickly realized that supervision had become a key resource. Many supervision software are available but Nagios is certainly the most common open source software and the most followed by the developer community. In this work, we developed a centralized supervision system of the IT infrastructure of the EASI company.
The main features of supervision are:
- the network supervision: monitoring of hardware components;
- the system supervision: application and software monitoring;
- the notification: sending of alerts by email, sms, phone or audible warning;
- the execution of commands: restart of an application in case of failure;
- the mapping: visualization of the network through a map or chart;
- the report file: complete history of the supervision system.
Within the framework of this work, we developed a centralized supervision system of the IT infrastructure of the EASI company, as well as a management of alarms in the event of network problems and an alert notification by email. To do so, we not only used the standard plugins of Nagios but also developed our own plugins.
We also created a multi-user mode with an authentication based on LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) and secured information exchanges between Nagios servers by a public/private key system. The objective in the long term is to extend this architecture to all EASI customers.